Reporting is essential, and often, the area you are reporting on needs to be broken down even further. You can achieve this using Sub Reports – a great way of increasing the data you can extract from SIMS.
To use Sub Reports:
- Select Reports | Design Report | Create new report
- From here, click ‘Next’ to select the basic details of the students you need for the report such as Registration Group, Date of Birth, etc.,
- Choose what else you would like to include in your report, such as assessment results, Student Conduct information or family links
- Double click to select the Sub Report (note: sub report areas are shown within the reporting fields with a ‘blue box’)
- Add further fields into your report as required from the list displayed.
Once you have selected the fields required you will then want to filter your report. To do this:
- Click on the red book icon on the right-hand side of the screen
- This opens an additional screen where you can choose the conditions of your filter
- Select ‘New’ from the options and then select from the options within the drop-down menu, enter the appropriate criteria/conditions you require and once done, select ‘OK’.
Underneath the filter box of the fields you have selected, there are two sections at the bottom of the page that are important – ‘include records with no such result’ and ‘display first record only’. The former refers to the students who have no data associated to their name. The latter allows you to display the first record only of the data you’ve collated. Tick or untick each option according to the situation of your report.
To preview the results, select ‘preview’ from the icons at the top of the reporting screen. Press the ‘design’ icon to return to the review page of the report.
Once you are happy with your report and have the data you require, you can output to Excel:
- Chose ‘Default Output’ and select Excel
- Untick ‘go straight to Print Preview’
- Do note the ‘suppress duplicates’ option under the report title, if you leave this ticked it will suppress any duplicate for the student’s name in Excel.
Do you want to know more?
Further information regarding producing Sub Reports can be found in the Reporting Handbook via the Administration link within the SIMS Documentation centre. This can be accessed via the documentation link in the top right corner of your SIMS home page. You will also find a range of other useful handbooks, tutorials, and quick reference sheets relevant to your role within the SIMS Documentation centre.